A High ROI Campaign in the Construction Niche - Australia

Discussion in 'Case-Studies-&-Experiments' started by Mateen, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Mateen

MateenMateen is a Verified Member Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Articles:
    Another campaign I did in the early days that worked really well was the one below.

It says, 'all people are created equal then some go on to become concreters'

I went on to make variations of the design aimed at plumbers, electricians, forklift drivers, welders/sparkies, etc, etc.

Before entering the affiliate marketing scene, I was a civil engineer working in a construction company as a graduate. I worked there for 2 years and was able to experience and learn about the culture.

I knew tradies were very passionate about what they do, especially here in Australia. Couple that with a witty quote and you have the above design.

For a long time I sold hoodies exclusively to the Australian market. They just bought more frequently, possibly due to how rarely they were targeted with ads.

Design

The design was very easy. I just found related silhouettes and added them with the text. The blue here is a bit dark and if I were to do the campaign again, I would have used a brighter shade. I would have also increased the text size and used a more interesting font.

For the most part, it was a pretty simple design that took me around 20-30 minutes to initially make. Once I did the template, I easily replicated it to other hands on professions such as electricians, plumbers, brickies, etc.
    Marketing

Well, you couldn't really get any broader than that in terms of targeting. My audience was way too small if I were to have gotten more targeted so I figured people connected to keywords related to concreters would either be OR know another concreter. With this in mind I added the 'tag a concreter' in the FaceBook ad Post. See below.

As this was one of my first successful campaigns, I didn't do much with retargeting or collecting audiences or doing all the things I would have done now. I'm pretty sure I would have made a lot more sales if I did though.
    Cost/Revenue/Profit

Costs were pretty low at only $258.27 for the whole campaign! For some reason, the lower the budget, the better the ROI with most of my Teespring campaigns and so I just had this sitting at $25 - $40/day till it died out.

This seems to be a running problem amongst the Teespring community. The higher you increase the budget, the less your ROI becomes. It's not always the case and you have to find that sweet spot for your particular campaign.

Total Cost: $258.27

Revenue was quite a lot compared to the spend!

Total Revenue: $1,611.95
    Profit/Loss: +$1,353.68

ROI was GREAT here at over 500%. The best thing about this campaign was that it was expandable to a bunch of different professions as I mentioned before. I think I ended up making around 5-8k profit just with these campaigns.

Learnings

One of the biggest things I learned here was that Aussies love to buy! That, and the construction niche was definitely profitable. I'm pretty sure you can get something working even now.

This is why it's worth it testing because just ONE profitable campaign can open up doors to a lot more. Usually there are opportunities to expand into other similar niches which is what happened here.

Attached Files:

2. newbie366

newbie366 New Member

Hi Mateen,
    Is the targeting done there good enough and "full" enough? If we could added some other objective or redo targeting, what would you do?
    By the way can you please suggest me some guides or links to learn more about finding good target as i'm currently a newbie and just know to type in stuffs like "nurse", "police" in fb interest )). I read your post on laser targeting but i didn't find much or know how to go deeper. Thank you so much for your help

3. Mateen

MateenMateen is a Verified Member Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Articles:
    Honestly, the targeting here is pretty average.

The problem I found with Australian Campaigns is the audience size is just so small if you go too lasered. That's why I had to kind of broaden it up but since it's Australia and they hardly see ads here, it worked!

Here's a vid on good vs bad targeting.
    http://www.ecomuniverse.com/forum/articles/drop-shipping-shopify/facevook-paid-marketing

The best way to get good at targeting is to launch a campaign, if it fails then post it here on the forum so we can take a look and critique where you can improve

Do that 5-10 times and you'll pretty much know what I know :)

4. Dmitry Baranov

Dmitry Baranov New Member

Question - Do you usually do Clicks to website (Traffic) or Conversions type of campaigns for those?