Making $3,000 From My Favorite Child Hood Cartoon!

Discussion in 'Case-Studies-&-Experiments' started by Mateen, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Mateen

MateenMateen is a Verified Member Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Articles:
    #1 Mateen, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    This was heavily inspired by my Ninja Turtle Designs I went through earlier.

Like I mentioned before, I did really well with this technique for a good while. It was so simple yet appealed so well!
    I've been watching Dragon Ball Z for my whole child hood. Even now I'll watch some clips on Youtube and I'm waiting for the new Movie to be released in Australia.
    I assumed, what I'd find cool, others would find cool since I'm part of the very own demographic I was promoting to!
    Design
    Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 11.38.58 AM.png

The design was pretty much the same as the TMNT one but with DBZ characters. It didn't take too long to make at all.
    I always go with white silhouettes on black merchandise. It's always worked well for me when targeting males. It's also cheap to produce which keeps your profit margins high.
    Notice I'm pushing Hoodies? The profit margin on these hoodies was about $17, almost twice as much as a shirt!
    Marketing

Below is a screenshot of my targeting on FaceBook. Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 11.39.44 AM.png

Looking back I could have done so much better! Again, I cringe every time I see countries being lumped together like that. I've mentioned before that different countries behave differently and so should be analysed individually.

The targeting is VERY broad. One of the reasons for that was to get enough of a demographic size to work with. The biggest problem with thee type of designs is that the demographic size is usually too low to target. I don't go for anything under 50k, especially now.
    If the demographic size didn't matter, I would have targeted Dragonball Z movies and games.

Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 11.39.51 AM.png

The 'shop now' button worked quite well and eventually I started adding an arrow to the image pointing to the button. It made it very clear where you had to go to buy one.
    I always aim for clarity when I'm marketing anything. Whether that means to keep information at a minimum so people don't get overwhelmed with too much reading or having only one product on a clear background with a simple buy button making it very direct, what action I want them to take.
    Costs/Revenue/Profit

Total Cost: $3,183.85 Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 11.39.56 AM.png

Total Revenue: $6,377.54
    Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 11.40.08 AM.png

Profit: 3,193.69

100% ROI, nice! A cool 3k from all that is pretty good although it could have been much higher. I think, if I were to have done this properly, I could have made an extra 1-2k profit.

I spent way too much by bunching countries together. I didn't collect the audience for retargeting and to make a 'lookalike' audience, etc.
    If you noticed the TMNT design actually made me a $50 loss BUT the campaign concept as a whole made me great money.
    This is why it's always good to move forward in affiliate marketing or anything you want to master. You always learn something that can benefit you in the future even if it makes you a loss initially.
    Learnings

DBZ is a buyer demographic, this was made apparent after this campaign and especially after seeing a lot more dbz merchandise sell from other Teespringers.
    This was one of the best age + interest targeted campaigns I had and it was also one that taught me the importance of NOT bunching my countries together.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

The screen shots seems missing!

- They are coming now!

3. Mateen

Articles:
    Phew, all working fine now? Was it a different browser? I'm still nutting out some bugs in the forum.

4. mtubes

mtubes New Member

Its working for Mozilla browser not so much CHrome.

5. mohsik

mohsik Administrator
    Administrator

I love Dragon Ball Z! Great post mateen.

6. Mateen

Articles:
    Really? I use chrome and mine is working fine. Maybe certain browser versions are having issues. Is it just this post or other case studies too?

7. mohsik

mohsik Administrator
    Administrator

I use safari on Mac, and it works fine!

8. enayet

enayet New Member

Its 1988 Kid. The campaign was created on 2014. So why the age is 18 in the targeting?

- Thank you

9. enayet

enayet New Member

Couple of issues regarding the forum:

1. I think I don't email notification on reply my comments.
    2. Randomly have the missing screenshot issue in MAC FF. Seems working in chrome now.
    3. Automatically logs me out in a very quick interval. I think you should increase the time limit.

- Thank you.

10. patsert

patsert New Member

He scaled this and made many variations, like 1988, 1989, 1990, etc. The targeting screenshot is probably from one of those variations.

11. Mateen

Articles:
    1. Will set this up later today
    2. Posted a support ticket with forum developers. Try just use chrome for now.
    3. It was set to 15 minute, (session time out). Do you feel this too short? I've increased it to 30 minutes

Thanks for the feedback,

12. Mateen

Articles:
    patsert is right,

Both screenshots are from variant campaigns. I must have taken the targeting screenshot from the '1996 Kid' campaign. I should find the right hoodie screenshot actually.

13. enayet

enayet New Member

Hi, I tried creating a website click ad with my teespring campaign...so that I could add the shop now button. However the ad is not approved.
    PPE seems ok, with the same ad content/image. Any idea?

14. Mateen

Articles:
    What's the reason for disapproval? Too much text or not following FB guidelines, (FB can be quite picky about this)?

Sometimes it's just luck and depends on who your ad goes to to be approved. I've had many campaigns approved that shouldn't have been and many disapproved that shouldn't have been.

Just stick with PPE. Be careful of resubmitting the ad too many times - many people have been banned this way.

15. enayet

enayet New Member

Thank you Mateen. Will stick with PPE.

Regards

16. af1234

af1234 New Member

Isn't it considered trademark and copyright infringement? I've always been afraid of this liability issue. What is your take on it?

17. Mateen

Articles:
    Each company has their own ToCs for trademark infringement. DBZ seem to be ok with fan made DBZ stuff. They don't really have anything on silhouettes so I've been ok with this campaign. I'm not using a logo or a full character.

18. binarydna

binarydna New Member

Hey man first time posting here, I actually joined this forum yesterday. Just want to say this post motivated me to make my first shirt and post it on reddit. Just got my first 2 sales within 4 hours of posting, with paying no money for ads and I am excited to invest in a fb campaign now. Just wanted to say thank you for being the realest ecom guy out there <3

19. Mateen

Articles:
    @binarydna No worries man! Good to know you learned a lot, I should do more of these to show how the whole process actually works!

20. Tiredofthe9-5

Tiredofthe9-5 Junior Member

2014?!?!
    WOW! lol
    Back i the good ol' days. Wish i had known about Teespring back then